The Fred Fox School of Music boasts two orchestras: The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and The UA Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Arizona Symphony, the Fred Fox School of Music’s pre-professional orchestral ensemble, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates each semester with the UA Opera Theatre. Composed primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified nonmajors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for 400-O, or 500-O. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information. To be considered for the Arizona Symphony please sign up for an audition above.
Arizona Symphony Orchestra concerts of the 2021-22 Season Concerts at 7:30 in Crowder Hall unless noted. Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see https://livestream.com/ffsom for complete information.
- Saturday, September 25: Gershwin arr. Riddle Three Preludes, Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No. 1 with 2020-21 FFSoM concerto competition winner Soo Yoen Kim, Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 “Pathétique”
- Sunday, October 10: Music+Festival, music by David Diamond
- Friday, November 20: Mahler Symphony No. 5
- Saturday and Sunday, February 5 and 6. Annual President’s Concert featuring winners of the Fred Fox School of Music Concerto Competition
- Friday, March 4: Works by Galindo, Chávez and Revueltas and selections with Mariachi Arizona with guest artist Steven Carillo of Mariachi Cobre
- Thursday-Sunday, April 7-10. UA Opera Theater: production TBA
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, nonmajors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by doctoral conducting students Lorena Suárez and Yudai Ueda under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Frequent sectional rehearsals lead by the Graduate String Quintet emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. “The Phil” meets T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 400P or MUS 500P. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
UA Philharmonic concerts of the 2021-22 season, all at 7:30 PM in Crowder Hall Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date.
- Friday, October 8: Music of Copland, Mascagni and Beethoven
- Friday, December 3
- Friday, February 25
- Wednesday, May 4