The Fred Fox School of Music boasts two orchestras: The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and The UA Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Arizona Symphony, the Fred Fox School of Music’s pre-professional orchestral ensemble, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates each semester with the UA Opera Theatre. Composed primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified nonmajors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for MUS 200-O, 400-O, or 500-O: Section 1. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information. To be considered for the Arizona Symphony please sign up for an audition above.
Arizona Symphony Orchestra concerts of the 2019-20 Season. Concerts at 7:30 in Crowder Hall unless noted. Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see https://livestream.com/ffsom for complete information.
- Saturday, September 21: Samuel Pascoe Khromaticon and Brahms Symphony No. 2 in D major
- Sunday, October 13: Music+Festival, works by Edgar Varèse and Aaron Kernis
- Friday, November 22: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
- Saturday and Sunday, February 8 and 9. Annual President’s Concert featuring winners of the Fred Fox School of Music Concerto Competition
- Friday, March 6: Program TBD
- Saturday, April 18 and Sunday, April 19 at 3:00. UA Opera Theater: Humperdinck’s Hänsel und Gretel sung in German with English supertitles.
- Saturday, May 1. Program TBD, shared with the UA Philharmonic.
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, nonmajors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by doctoral conducting students Sean Bresemann and Lorena Suárez under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Frequent sectional rehearsals lead by the Graduate String Quintet emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. “The Phil” meets T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 200/400/500-) section 002. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
UA Philharmonic concerts of the 2019-2020 season, all at 7:30 PM in Crowder Hall Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see https://livestream.com/ffsom for complete information.
- Friday, Friday, October 11. Works by Mozart, Sibelius and Smetana
- Friday, December 6
- Friday, February 28
- Saturday, May 2 Concert shared with Arizona Symphony Orchestra