The Fred Fox School of Music boasts two orchestras: The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and The UA Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Arizona Symphony, the Fred Fox School of Music’s pre-professional orchestral ensemble, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates each semester with the UA Opera Theatre. Composed primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified non majors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for MUS 200-O, 400-O, or 500-O: Section 1. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information. To be considered for the Arizona Symphony please sign up for an audition above.
Arizona Symphony Orchestra concerts of the Spring 2019 Season. Concerts at 7:30 in Crowder Hall unless noted. Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see https://livestream.com/ffsom for complete information.
- Friday and Saturday, February 1 and 2. Annual President’s Concert. Mozart Overture to Die Zauberflöte, concerto movements by Mozart, Gounod, Korngold and Tchaikovsky; The Cowboys Overture by John Williams
- Friday March 1 at Catalina Foothills High School. Mahler Symphony No. 4 in G major, soprano Yunah Lee, faculty soloist
- Thursday-Saturday, April 4-6 at 7:30 and Sunday, April 7 at 3:00. UA Opera Theater: Jules Massenet Cendrillon (Cinderella) sung in French with English supertitles.
- Wednesday, April 24. Haydn Mass in C, “Mariazeller” conducted by Dr. Elizabeth Schauer with UA Symphonic Choir and guest choirs. Balance of the program, TBA, conducted by Thomas Cockrell
- Wednesday, May 1. Program TBA, shared with the UA Philharmonic.
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, nonmajors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by Asst. Professor Tammy Yi and doctoral conducting student Sean Bresemann, under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Frequent sectional rehearsals lead by the Graduate String Quintet emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. “The Phil” meets T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 200/400/500-) section 002. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
UA Philharmonic concerts of the 2017-18 season, all at 7:30 PM in Crowder Hall Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see https://livestream.com/ffsom for complete information.
- Friday, February 22. Dukas Fanfare to La Péri, Fauré Suite from Pelléas et Mélisande, Rimsky-Korsakov Capriccio Espagnol
- Wednesday, May 1. Program TBA, concert shared with the Arizona Symphony Orchestra