The University of Arizona School of Music boasts two orchestras: The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and The UArizona Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Arizona Symphony Orchestra, the School of Music’s pre-professional orchestral ensemble, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates frequently with the UA Opera Theatre. Composed primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified nonmajors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for 400-O, or 500-O. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
Arizona Symphony Orchestra concerts of the 2023-24 Season Concerts at 7:30 in Crowder Hall and conducted by Dr. Thomas Cockrell unless noted. Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see the UArizona School of Music YouTube channel.
- Saturday, September 23: Martinu Rhapsody-Concerto, Dr. Molly Gebrian, viola soloist; Dvorak Symphony No. 7 in D minor
- Sunday, October 15, Music+Festival: Druckman Summer Lightning and Asia Cello Concerto, Julian Schwarz, guest soloist
- Thursday-Sunday, November 16-19: UA Opera Theater, Purcell Dido and Aeneas
- Saturday and Sunday, February 3 and 4. Annual President’s Concert featuring winners of the Fred Fox School of Music Concerto Competition
- Friday, March 1: TBD
- Saturday, April 30 Joint concert, Arizona Symphony and UArizona Philharmonic
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, nonmajors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by doctoral conducting students Fátima Corona del Toro and J Alexander Bennett under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Frequent sectional rehearsals emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. Beginning fall semester 2023 “The Phil” meets M/W T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 400-P or MUS 500-P. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
UA Philharmonic concerts of the 2023-24 season, all at 7:30 PM in Crowder Hall Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date.
- Friday, October 13: Rossini Overture to La cenerentola, Britten Soirées Musicales and Mozart Symphony No. 38 “Prague”
- Friday, December 1: TBA
- Friday, February 23: program to be determined
- Saturday, April 30: program to be determined, joint concert with Arizona Symphony Orchestra