The Fred Fox School of Music boasts two orchestras: The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and The UArizona Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Arizona Symphony, the Fred Fox School of Music’s pre-professional orchestral ensemble, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates frequently with the UA Opera Theatre. Composed primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified nonmajors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for 400-O, or 500-O. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
Arizona Symphony Orchestra concerts of the 2022-23 Season Concerts at 7:30 in Crowder Hall and conducted by Dr. Thomas Cockrell unless noted. Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date. Please see https://livestream.com/ffsom for complete information.
- Saturday, October 1: Beethoven Symphony No. 2 in D major, Enescu Second Romanian Rhapsody, Respighi Pini di Roma.
- Sunday, October 23, Music+Festival: Strauss Duet Concertino and Serenade in E-flat, Augusta Read Thomas Eos
- Thursday-Sunday, November 17-20: UA Opera Theater, Mozart’s Le nozze di Figaro
- Saturday and Sunday, February 4 and 5. Annual President’s Concert featuring winners of the Fred Fox School of Music Concerto Competition
- Friday, March 3: TBD
- Sunday, April 30 : Brahms’s Ein Deutsches Requiem, FFSoM choirs prepared by Dr. Elizabeth Schauer, Asleif Wilmer, soprano and Octavio Moreno, baritone
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, nonmajors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by doctoral conducting students Fátima Corona del Toro and Yudai Ueda under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Frequent sectional rehearsals lead by the Graduate String Quintet emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. “The Phil” meets T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 400-P or MUS 500-P. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
UA Philharmonic concerts of the 2022-23 season, all at 7:30 PM in Crowder Hall Most UA Orchestras concerts are available to be enjoyed at home or on mobile devices, either live or at a later date.
- Friday, October 14: Haydn Symphony No. 100 “Military”, Prokofiev Suite from Lieutenant Kijé, J. Strauss, II Emperor Waltzes
- Thursday, December 1: Schubert Symphony No. 8 “Unfinished”, Fauré Suite from Pelléas et Mélisande, Saint-Saëns Danse Bacchanale from Samson et Dalila
- Friday, February 24: program to be determined
- Friday, April 28: program to be determined