Fall 2022 auditions for The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and the UA Philharmonic Orchestra will be held August 19-21 (and the evening of August 23 for returning UA Philharmonic strings only). Please read the information below.
Auditions are held for all instruments on specific dates and times in the three days before classes begin. Auditions at other times are at the discretion of the director of orchestral activities. All instrumentalists should download audition material and schedule auditions at: ensembleauditions.music.arizona.edu. String players, please read the additional information below.
The Arizona Symphony, the school’s pre-professional orchestra, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates each semester with the UA Opera Theatre. Comprised primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified nonmajors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for MUS 400-O, or 500-O. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information. To be considered for the Arizona Symphony please sign up for an audition above.
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, nonmajors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by doctoral conducting students Sean Bresemann and Lorena Suárez under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Sectional rehearsals lead by the Fred Fox Graduate String Quartet members emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. “The Phil” meets T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 400-P, or 500-P. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
- The Fred Fox School of Music string faculty has prepared a packet of audition material which includes a choice of solo or etude and some orchestral excerpts.
- Students that enroll for private instrumental instruction (MUSI, Performance Studies) are required to be enrolled concurrently in an appropriate large conducted ensemble as determined by audition.
- All music majors and minors, and others wishing to be considered for the Arizona Symphony should prepare that audition music and sign up (above) for an audition on Friday, August 19.
- Returning string players of the UA Philharmonic will play an audition on the evening of Tuesday, August 23. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the orchestra bulletin board outside Music 153 by August 21.
- Listening to recordings of the audition excerpts will be helpful and is strongly recommended. YouTube, Naxos Music Library, the UA School of Music Library, and iTunes are excellent resources.
- There might be opportunities for non majors to enroll for studio instruction. Contact the individual studio instructor.
Click on the link for PDF of required selections for the audition. Questions? Contact individual string professors or Dr. Cockrell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Violin: Prof. Timothy Kantor, head of strings area (email@example.com)
- Violin: Prof. Lauren Roth (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Viola: Dr. Molly Gebrian (email@example.com)
- Cello: Dr. Theodore Buchholz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bass: Dr. Philip Alejo (email@example.com)