Fall 2017 auditions for The Arizona Symphony Orchestra and the UA Philharmonic Orchestra will be held August 18-20 and 22. Please read the information below.
All instrumentalists may download audition material and schedule auditions at: ensembleauditions.music.arizona.edu. String players, please read the additional information below.
Auditions are held for all instruments on specific dates and times during the three days before classes begin. Auditions at other times are at the discretion of the director of orchestral activities.
The Arizona Symphony, the school’s pre-professional orchestral ensemble, performs six challenging concert programs and collaborates each semester with the UA Opera Theatre. Composed primarily of music majors, the orchestra is open to qualified non majors and members of the UA community. Rehearsals are M/W/F afternoons from 2-3:50. Students admitted by audition to the Arizona Symphony will register for MUS 200-O, 400-O, or 500-O: Section 1. Contact Director of Orchestral Activities Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information. To be considered for the Arizona Symphony please sign up for an audition above.
The UA Philharmonic Orchestra is composed of music majors, minors, non majors and UA community members. The Philharmonic is conducted by doctoral conducting students András Derecskei and Juan Montoya, under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Cockrell. Frequent sectional rehearsals lead by the Fred Fox Graduate String Quintet emphasize the improvement of technical and ensemble skills. “The Phil” meets T/Th, 7:30 – 9:30 P.M. Students are admitted by audition to the UA Philharmonic will register for MUS 200-O, 400-O, or 500-O, Section 2. Please contact Dr. Thomas Cockrell for more information.
- The Fred Fox School of Music string faculty have prepared a packet of audition material which includes a choice of solo or etude and some orchestral excerpts.
- Students that enroll for private instrumental instruction (MUSI, Performance Studies) are required to be enrolled concurrently in an appropriate large conducted ensemble as determined by audition
- All music majors and minors, and others wishing to be considered for the Arizona Symphony should prepare that audition music and sign up (above) for an audition on Saturday, August 19
- Returning string players of the UA Philharmonic will play an audition on the evening of Tuesday, August 22. A sign up sheet will be posted outside Music 153 by August 20
- Listening to recordings of the audition excerpts will be helpful and is strongly recommended. YouTube, Naxos Music Library, the UA School of Music Library, and iTunes are excellent resources.
- Opportunities to enroll for studio instruction may exist. Contact the individual studio instructor.
Click on the link for PDF of required selections for the audition. Questions? Contact individual string professors or Dr. Cockrell at email@example.com.